Required clothing and books
The outline below is courtesy of Kate and Eric Helt.
All of the farm work clothing items below are carried by Tractor Supply (TSC)
on Coshocton Road. Of all these items, good work shoes, a heavy jacket,
and lined leather gloves will be the most essential. If you have high
tech hiking and camping clothing, of the Patagonia genre, you can try it out.
It will get dirty. You don't need to buy anything before coming to the
farm, so you will have a chance to look at what we have. Also, we have
catalogs for all kinds of work clothing.
What you will need:
- Heavy work shoes, like good hiking shoes are fine.
If you buy new leather boots get them with steel toes.
- Rubber boots - We wear rubber boots when it is real wet,
but suggest students wait until they get to the farm to see if they are really
needed, i.e., if you are working in the afternoon, rubber boots are less of
a need.At the Helts, we also have some extra boots in a few men/women's sizes.
..just depends on what "fits" whom.
- Light and heavy work clothes -- any old stuff that you
don't mind getting dirty -- long and short. This time of year we usually
start in layers and peel off as the day grows warmer.
- Rain gear. . . we try to avoid it, but sometimes can't.
- Work jackets - We wear Carhart brand winter weight
jackets with built in hoods. If you are going to buy one item this is
We also wear Carhart (or other brand) insulated overall pants with suspenders
- Sunglasses -- some days in the fall we really need them.
- Work gloves -- At the Helts we have cotton gloves for
you to use, but not insulated gloves. You will need insulated leather
gloves in the cold weather. Ski gloves will work - just know they will
probably be ruined. At the Helts we have a catalog with gloves at a
- Long underwear tops and bottoms.
- Warm hat that covers your ears.
Books to purchase:
- "Seeds of Deception" by Jeffrey M. Smith (foreword by Frances
Moore Lappe) - the Bookstore has order this and we will let you know when
it is available.