Use the back/forward buttons on your computer if you want to move between
the turtorial and this document
1. What is an EMG?
2. What is the purpose of the electrodes that are placed on the forearm when recording an EMG?
6. Why do motor units differ in size?
7. How do skeletal muscles increase the strength of contraction?
8. What causes muscles to fatigue and why does it take some muscles longer
Statistics Questions of the week.
9. You have measured the grip strength of 7th, 8th and 9th grade students and would like to know if the average
grip strength of students increases as they age. What statistical test would you use to answer this question and
10. You measure the grip strength of 20 7th grade athletes and then have them practice squeezing a small ball
ten times, every day for a month. At the end of the month you remeasure their grip strength. What statistical test
would you do to determine if they had improved and why?
Before coming to class make sure think about factors that might affect grip strength and muscle fatigue.
Then fill in the table in your lab manual.