IMPORTANT PRE LAB INSTRUCTIONS: PCR can be inhibited
by the caffeine in coffee or tea, as well as tars in cigarette smoke. Please refrain from consuming caffeinated
bevrages or smoking at least several hours before coming to lab. This will increase the probablility your DNA can
Use the back/forward buttons on your computer if you want to move between
the turtorial and this document
1. Why is the polarity of the two strands of DNA important and how is this related to the manner in which
2. What are the complementary base pairs in the DNA molecule?
3. Make up a 4 nucleotide sequence and show what a 3 VNTR of your sequence would look like.
4. What role do each of the following play in PCR - dNTPs, taq polymerase, primers?
5. Which of the following statements about primers used in PCR is not true?
they bracket the region of interest
they both complement the DNA of the same strand of the template
they attach at the 3' end of the template strand
their base pair sequence is known