Ventral View of a Rat Brain
|Several of the cranial nerves are visible in this image. They include:
1. Facial Nerve (VII) - facial muscles, mandibular and sublingual, lacrimal glands
2. Optic Nerve (II) - retina of the eye
3. Acoustic Nerve (VIII) - ear
4. Trigeminal Nerve (V) - lips, tongue, jaw muscles, skin near eye and nose
7. Trochlear Nerve (IV) - eye muscles
Also visible are the olfactory bulbs (6) and the olfactory tract (5) which are important in detecting odors.
The other nerves are small and difficult to identify.