1. Place the data for the independent variable (x-axis) in the first column.
2. Place the data for the dependent variable(s) in 2nd and subsequent columns.
To graph the data - LC graph icon on toolbar (this activates the chart wizard)
1. Select chart type and subtype - (for practice LC column and the first type of column graph) Over the course of the semester you will use a variety of graph types.
2. Specify Data Range - LC on box with red arrow. A box appears at the top of the screen. Place the cursor on the first row in column A LCH -- move mouse to block the data for the graph. (a dashed-grey box should surround columns and rows that are blocked, and the range of the blocked columns appears in the box at the top of the screen.) LC the red arrow to return to the chart wizard.
Series - LC on the series tab - if the default information chosen by the computer is incorrect you can use this window to modify the source of the data. For the x axis LC on the red arrow in the box labeled category x axis labels then on the worksheet block the appropriate data. LC the red arrow to return to the chart wizard. To modify the source of the data for any of the y series make sure the series you want to modify is active in the series box then LC the red arrow in the Values box and continue as for the x axis. Note you can also add or delete series (columns with data for the y axis). With a series highlighted you can use Name to specify the type of data in the series. The name you select will appear in the legend box.-- NEXT
3. Titles - add a label and unit of measure for both the x and y axes. (Do not add a title at this time)
Legend - LC on the legend tab - unless you have two series it is not necessary to include a legend. Deactivate the legend with a LC on show legend. -- NEXT
Axes, Gridlines, Data Labels, Data Table - generally these do not need modification.
4. Chart Location - Always select as a new sheet! (This makes later editing easier) -- Finish.