Biology 112 Quiz: Chapter 54 Name________________________
1) (1 point) When primary producers expend energy to build new tissue, this is:
A. net primary productivity
B. the amount of energy available to consumers
C. maintenance costs
D. both A and B
E. both B and C
2) (1 point) Which of the following most often controls the rate of nutrient cycling in ecosystems?
A. rate of decomposition of detritus
B. primary productivity
C. secondary productivity
D. both B and C
3) (2 points) Write the formula describing the relationship between gross primary productivity, net primary productivity and respiration.
GPP – R = NPP
4) (1 point) Which of the following could be a cause of eutrophication?
A) adding a large amount of a limiting resource to an aquatic ecosystem
B) removing a limiting resource from a terrestrial ecosystem
C) removing a limiting resource from an aquatic ecosystem
5) (1 point) Devegetation has what effect on ecosystem dynamics?
A) It increases belowground biomass.
B) It increases the pool of soil organic matter.
C) It increases rates of groundwater recharge (penetration of precipitation to the water table).
D) It increases nutrient export.
6) (1 point) Based on the following figure, what is a true statement?
a. Cultivated lands have exceptionally high productivity.
b. Tropical wet forest and the open ocean are the ecosystems with the two highest percent total NPP.
c. Algal beds and reefs have the largest total percent NPP.
d. The open ocean has very high NPP per unit area.
7) (1 point) Several of the major human impacts on ecosystems are farming, logging, burning, and soil erosion. These processes all result in accelerated nutrient loss by what common mechanism?
a. soil compaction
b. loss of animal habitat
c. vegetation removal
d. environmental pollution
8) (1 point) Which of the following is a good way to reduce your ecological footprint?
a. eating more dairy products
b. eating mainly primary producers
c. living in large homes
d. eating foods transported from other countries
9) (1 point) The global carbon cycle involves the movement of carbon among ecosystems. Which of the following represents the largest pool of carbon?
a. human-induced changes
b. terrestrial ecosystems
c. the atmosphere
d. the ocean